DFP Header

Share this London Scottish page

Pro Team - Match Pages - Match Info No Stats

Scottish Come of Age – London Scottish 60 – 10 Macclesfield

Scottish Come of Age – London Scottish 60 – 10 Macclesfield

London Scottish recorded their 21st consecutive victory of the season against a highly rated Macclesfield side, who were comprehensively defeated by a rampaging Scottish side scoring nine tries in a highly free flowing match. Scottish remain top of the league, one point ahead of their nearest rivals.

London Scottish recorded their 21st consecutive victory of the season against a highly rated Macclesfield side, who were comprehensively defeated by a rampaging Scottish side scoring nine tries in a highly free flowing match. Scottish remain top of the league, one point ahead of their nearest rivals.

London Scottish kicked off on a cold overcast day playing against a strong wind blowing down the ground. From the off Scottish made their intentions clear and after a good backs break, they were penalised by the referee for crossing. Shortly after this, the first indications of the way the match would go came in the 5th minute of the game. Scottish kicked to the corner, following Macclesfield being adjudged to being offside. A series of rolling mauls produced a number of consecutive scums beneath the Macclesfield posts, which eventually led to the referee penalising the Macclesfield side for persistent scrum infingements. Fly half Ratford converted the penalty 3- 0.


As the game moved towards the end of the first quarter of the match, the Scottish backs began to display their dominance in the game. Centre and captain McInroy made a great break through the middle and off loaded to flanker Calder who made a strong surging run into the Macclesfield 22 metres. Shortly later the referee felt the need to talk the Macclesfield captain Stewart, due to the high persistent penalty count against the away side. On 19 minutes, the Scottish backs were camped in the Macclesfield 22 metres, however they knocked the ball on. Maccelsfield tried to run the ball out through their backs, but they themselves knocked on and centre MacDougall pounced and scooped up the ball to run in unopposed out wide. Ratford converted a difficult kick to leave the score 10 – 0. The Scottish backs were now putting the Macclesfield side under enormous pressure and all credit to Macclesfield in holding them out. However, the pressure finally paid off and on the half hour mark, Scottish full back Bordiss scored a superb backs try after great inter play, including a switch move. Ratford again converted a difficult kick leaving the score 17 – 0 to Scottish.

Just before half time the Scottish backs took the ball from just inside their own 10 metre line and passed the ball quickly through the backs hands out to winger Piotrowski, who made a great surging run down the right wing, only to be tackled by the Macclesfield full back Winney preventing a certain Scottish score. Scottish scored their third try shortly before the half time whistle, when following another Macclesfield infringement, Scottish kicked into the corner. Scottish second row Brown took the ball at the line out and the Scottish forwards drove the ball towards the Macclesfield line. Frantic Macclesfield defence held firm, however the Scottish forwards re-cycled the ball with prop Standfield diving over. Ratford missed the conversion to leave a half time score 22 – 0 to Scottish.

Scottish secured the bonus point 4 minutes into the second half, when the Scottish backs produced sublime inter play, which eventually led to centre MacDougall making the line break and with Bordiss on his shoulder, he off loaded to Bordiss to score out wide. Ratford missed the conversion to leave the score 27 – 0. Scottish tails were now up and Macclesfield were struggling to contain the rampant Scottish side. Only last ditch tackling was preventing further scores as the incessant Scottish pressure was consistently being pushing back by the Macclesfield forwards. The pressure finally paid off with a great run down the right wing by Scottish winger Hihetah, who off loaded to centre MacDougall who was tackled short of the Macclesfield line. The Scottish forwards were quickly up in support and a series of drives were held up before flanker Brown drove over. Ratford converted to leave the score 34 – 0 after 47 minutes.

Scottish increased their lead further on 55 minutes when after series of line breaks in the middle of the pitch by the Scottish forwards. Macclesfield were penalised for being offside. Scottish kicked to the corner and at the line out second row Newman took the ball and was driven close to the try line. After a series of rolling mauls, flanker Calder emerged clutching the ball after being driven over by his fellow forwards. Ratford converted to make the score 41 – 0. Scottish scored their seventh try of the match on 64 minutes when winger Piotrowski scored out wide following a series of superb back moves with the ball being moved through a number of backs hands. Ratford converted 48 -0. Macclesfield finally got on the score board on 69 minutes after Scottish winger Piotrowski was yellow carded by the referee for deliberately knocking the ball forward close to the Scottish line. At the subsequent penalty, the Macclesfield forwards drove towards the Scottish line with their flanker Stewart emerging with the ball, having scored his 16th try of the season. Full back Winney missed the conversion. 48 -5.

Although being down to 14 players, Scottish continued to force the play into the Macclesfield half, with the Scottish forwards taking the play down the right side of the pitch. The drive was held up 5 metres short of the try line and at the subsequent scrum, replacement flanker Soden picked up from the base of the scrum and drove over on the blind side. Ratford missed the conversion attempt to leave the score 55 – 5. Macclesfield scored their second try and consolation effort on 76 minutes, when replacement flanker Jones scored out wide after good backs play. Winney again missed the conversion attempt. Not to be out done, Scottish scored the final points of the match shortly before the final whistle following good backs play, winger Hihetah scored out wide after sustained pressure on the Macclesfield defence. Ratford missed the conversion to leave the final score 60 – 10.

Scottish in this match produced a phenomenal performance against the team that currently sit fourth in the league table. The pace and skill on display by the Scottish team was of the highest quality and the dominance exerted throughout the match did not allow a good Macclesfield side a sniff of any serious opportunities throughout the match. Macclesfield came into this match on the back of a number of high quality performances of their own, but unfortunately they came up short against a side that were playing with a high level of confidence, who never allowed them to gain a foothold in the match. Scottish now move onto next weekend for their away encounter at Coventry, who turned in a highly commendable performance away at Blackheath, drawing the match 27 – 27. Look out for the match preview later in the week.

Ben McDougall was awarded the FirstCape Wines man of the match award.

Home Team
Tries: Bordiss x2, Macdougall, O Brown, Calder, Piotrowski, Soden, Hiheteh

Pen: Ratford

Con: Ratford x6

Away Team
Tries: Stewart, Jones
Home Team
15 Bordiss, 14 Piotrowski, 13 McDougall, 12 McInroy, 11 Hihetah, 10 Ratford, 9 Amor

1 Clarke, 2 Kwasnicki, 3 Standfield, 4 Newman, 5 Josh Brown,  6 O Brown, 7 Calder, 8 Lipp

Replacements: 16 Kent, 17 Fahey, 18 Palmer, 19 Soden, 20 Walbyoff

Away Team
15 Winney, 14 O’Regan, 13 Moorhouse, 12 Simpson, 11 Fowles , 10 Eaton, 9 Mulchrone

1 Mantell, 2 Allen, 3 Robinson, 4 Marsh, 5 Owens, 6 Sayce, 7 Stewart (c), 8 Keep  

 Replacements:16 Moss,17 Latham, 18 Jones, 19 Wigham, 20 Davenport

Main Sponsor
Official Club Sponsors
Official Partners
Tournament Provider