DFP Header

Share this London Scottish page

Pro Team - Match Pages - Match Info No Stats

Otley 22 – 34 London Scottish – Match Report

Otley 22 – 34 London Scottish – Match Report

A week on from their first win of the season, London Scottish have made it two on the bounce as Simon Amor's team picked up another bonus point win to take them to sixth in the league and back into early season contention with the league leaders.

A week on from their first win of the season, London Scottish have made it two on the bounce as Simon Amor’s team picked up another bonus point win to take them to sixth in the league and back into early season contention with the league leaders.

Following an early morning start and long drive up north, London Scottish could have been forgiven for a slow start to the game, the reality couldn’t have been further from the truth. With the referees whistle still fresh in the players ears, it fell to Ben Lonergan to cross for the first of his two tries within a minute of the kick-off as he went on to make a MOTM performance. James Brown was unable to follow up with the conversion, but Scottish showed in the early exchanges they where more than up to the challenge.


After a whirl wind start, both sides settled as they looked to size up their opponent and register the next points on the board. It fell to the boot of Otley outside centre Jervis Manupenu to penalise some undisciplined play from Scottish and take the score to 3-5 with 10 minutes gone.

Otley maintained their momentum with some clever back play that lead to wing James Twomey touching down in the corner for his first try of the day. Manupenu was unable to convert to leave the score 8-5 in favour of the home side. The lead would prove to be short lived, as a visibly determined Scottish side looked to break back straight away. Contesting the ball from the restart, the Scottish forwards did well to recycle the ball at speed, giving the backs the space to pass along the line for David Howells to eventually go over for a converted try and wrestle back the lead for Scottish.

As the game began to settle, Otley were unable to capitalise on more undisciplined Scottish play as Manupenu missed his second penalty of the day. However, It wasn’t long before the score board was ticking over again, this time with Scottish Flanker Willie Lipp on hand to stretch the lead with the assistance of a well taken conversion from James Brown. Scottish looked to be getting the upper hand in the battle of the forwards at both the break down and in set plays. No one epitomised this dominance more than MOTM Ben Lonergan, who took his second try of the game well, to set up Brown who was beginning to put in another assured performance with the boot.

The first-half had been a battle of wills, and one that Scottish were beginning to command as they lead 26-8 with the chance of the bonus point on the cards. With the second-half only five minutes old, Otley where handed a life-line as Scottish Loose-Head Prop Matthew Johnston was shown a yellow card that left his team with 14 on the pitch. With the man advantage in the pack, Otley were quick to take advantage as Number 8 Oliver Stedman showed strength and good hands to scores the home sides second of the day. Manupenu held his nerve to make it 15-26 with all to play for. 

Although Otley where a man up, the visitors were still able to play their own game as the forwards continued to drive the ball with conviction. On the 50 minute mark, Brown squared up for a missed drop goal, however, he soon found range again as Scottish stretched the lead a minute later with a well taken penalty for a 29-15 score. For the neutral spectator this game was anything but boring, as little under five minutes later, Otley were scoring their third try, and the second of the day for Twomey. With Manupenu making no mistake of the conversation, the game was finally balanced 22-29 going into the final period.

With Scottish now back to full strength, the next 20 minutes proved to be a real battle, with each side cancelling the other out whilst still maintaining a credible chance of the win. As the clock ticked down and Otley within a converted try of taking away the draw, their cause was dealt a decisive blow, as their flanker Afoa-Peterson was shown the second yellow of the game that would leave his side with14 men for the remainder of the game. The final nail in the coffin was added a minute later, as Scottish second half-time replacement Adam Kwasnicki scored for a 34-22 lead with three minutes to play.

As the final whistle went and the visitors celebrated a hard fought victory, attention now turns to this weekend and visitors Tynedale. The team from the North West have yet to lose a game this season and will present Simon Amor’s team with a stern challenge. If you have yet to secure you place in the stands, make sure you do so today and cheer on Scottish as they look to continue their march up the table.

For more information on London Scottish vs. Tynedale and to buy tickets click here.

Home Team
Twomey (16, 56); Stedman (46)
Away Team
Lonergan (1, 37); Howells (18); Lipp (29); Kwasnicki (77)
Home Team
Keinhorst, Twomey, White, Manupenu, Wilson, Nelson, Depledge, Blades, Steele, Zeiss, Quinn, Pawley, Afoa-Peterson, Sutton, Stedman

Replacements: Hamill, Tennet, Beck, Barker, Walsh

Away Team
Neale, Holgate, Damant, Trueman, Howells, Brown, Page, Johnston, McGrath, Fahey, Newman, Brown, Lipp, Lonergan, Soden

Replacements: Kwasnicki, Clarke, Karonias, Grant, MacDougall

Main Sponsor
Official Club Sponsors
Official Partners
Tournament Provider