DFP Header

Share this London Scottish page

Pro Team - Match Pages - Match Info

Victory Snatched at the End in Richmond

Victory Snatched at the End in Richmond

during the Greene King IPA Championship match between London Scottish Football Club and Richmond at Richmond Athletic Ground, Richmond, United Kingdom on 3 December 2017. Photo by David Horn.




It was edge-of-your-seat rugby, and an epic finish last week for London Scottish, who have now had two wins on the bounce. A dominant performance at home over the Cornish Pirates was followed up by a last gasp winner over league strugglers Rotherham in Round 10. Scottish were looking to make it three from three today in the local derby.

Richmond, who are the “away” team today, struggled against the Pirates last week; Steve Hill, the DOR at Richmond conceded that “a combination of poor skill execution & indiscipline” is what prevented them applying pressure, so they were looking to start quickly against their rivals.

In front of a new record crowd for this season of 1,849, the pitch had already seen a fair amount of action between Richmond Ladies & Wasps Ladies, so it was no surprise that the game started off a bit slowly.

Scottish dominated the first quarter of the game; going through the phases, they probed the Richmond defence across the pitch. This pressure eventually told, when Richmond were forced to give away a penalty after 7 minutes. Sharp had no issue putting it between the posts, to get Scottish on the scoreboard.

Richmond enjoyed a spell of attacking rugby after 20 minutes. The Scottish defence held firm, and dragged the electric Freeman into touch, 5m out. The ensuing Scottish line out was completely over thrown, and the ball landed in the hands of Grimstone, who jogged for the try line. Kirby added the conversion to give Richmond a 3-10 lead, against the run of play.

Scottish answered back quickly; just 4 minutes later, Scottish had worked their way down to the Richmond try line, a pick & go from Appiah was never going to be stopped from 1m out. Sharp added the conversion to level the score, 10-10.

Richmond came back on the attack from the restart; Cunnew broke through the middle, only just halted by Ed Milne. With the overlap established, they moved the ball wide to Woodward for an easy run in, into the corner.

Kirby was unable to add the conversion, so Richmond took a 10-15 lead. Despite sustained pressure from Scottish in the remainder of the half, Richmond were able to add three more points courtesy of Kirby, so ended the half in the lead. Richmond had been clinical in the opening 40 minutes, two attacks and two tries: London Scottish 10-18 Richmond FC.

The second half began with a bang. Before most of the crowd had returned to their seats, the ball was moved wide to Ross Neal, just inside the Scottish half, who stepped two defenders then blew past everyone to the try line. It was a fantastic piece of individual skill and athleticism. From a tight angle on the touchline, Sharp didn’t add the conversion, so after just 42 minutes, Scottish had cut Richmonds lead; LSFC 15-18 Richmond.

Scottish had the wind in their sails, and applied pressure on the Richmond defence. Huge carries from Atkinson and Mosses through the middle of the park, kept Richmond on the back foot.

This pressure told again, when Scottish worked the ball wide; from 5m out, Sharp kicked through a grubber and chased it down himself. After going to the TMO, the try was awarded. Sharp added the conversion, to give Scottish a well deserved 22-18 lead.

during the Greene King IPA Championship match between London Scottish Football Club and Richmond at Richmond Athletic Ground, Richmond, United Kingdom on 3 December 2017. Photo by David Horn.

The next 10 minutes passed without a score; but both teams attacked hard. Huge hits went in from Williams, Atkinson, Miller, Cringle to keep Richmond from making any progress. Twice Richmond made it to the try line, only to give away a penalty.

Pressure from Richmond forced Scottish to concede a penalty on the 62nd minute, which Kirby duly dispatched, to cut the Scottish lead to a single point; LSFC 22-21 Richmond.

It was beginning to look like the Scottish defence had won them this game, but on the 77th minute, Woodward broke London Scottish hearts. Scottish attacked down the wing deep inside the Richmond half, and an ambitious pass to the winger was read by Woodward, who plucked it out of the air and ran 70m to the try line. A desperate chase from Matt Williams almost brought him down short, but he kept his balance to score.

Kirby added the conversion, to seal the victory; London Scottish 22-28 Richmond.

London Scottish Lyle; Williams; Neal; Mosses; Ingall; Sharp; Hoadley; Atkinson; C. Walker; Ed Milne; Mills (c); Uanivi; Cringle; Miller; Appiah // Replacements: George; Christie; McQuillin; Baillie; Kenny; Walker; Holland

Tries Appiah; Neal; Sharp

Conversion Sharp (x2)

Penalty Sharp


Richmond Kirby; Freeman; Mitchell; McLean; Woodward; Swan; Jones; Cunnew; Grimstone; Trenier; Warden; Davies; Liston; Allcock; Parks // Replacements: Phipps; Goodrick-Clarke; Crawford; Gibbs; Gabbitass; Saysell; Tarrant

Tries Grimstone; Woodward (x2)

Conversion Kirby (x2)

Penalty Kirby (x3)


Referee Karl Dickson

Attendance 1,849

Pro Team - Match Pages - Score Summary

Pro Team - Match Pages - Lineups

Main Sponsor
Official Club Sponsors
Official Partners
Tournament Provider