DFP Header

Share this London Scottish page

Pro Team - Match Pages - Match Info

Valiant Scots battle hard but suffer defeat to Yorkshire Carnegie

Valiant Scots battle hard but suffer defeat to Yorkshire Carnegie

London Scottish were left frustrated after a physical performance was not enough as Yorkshire Carnegie came away from the Athletic Ground with a hard fought 14-26 victory after a bruising encounter.

London Scottish were left frustrated after a physical performance was not enough as Yorkshire Carnegie came away from the Athletic Ground with a hard fought 14-26 victory after a bruising encounter.

The Scots had plenty of possession and were more than a match for their opponents who have only lost on one occasion so far this season. A number of opportunities were spurned and Scottish will look back at this match with regret as a chance to topple the Leeds side passed them by.


The result means Scottish stay fifth in the table a point behind Ealing Trailfinders in the race to the top four. 

It was the visitors that made the better start and they took an early lead with a try from Jonah Holmes after just five minutes. After a number of phases in the 22 the ball was spun wide, and the winger had the pace to dot down in the corner and give them a 5-0 advantage. 

Scottish responded immediately and went in front through Dave Cherry’s sixth try of the season. A five metre line out saw a rolling maul rumble over the line and it was the Scottish hooker who dived over to score. Pete Lydon’s touchline conversion gave the Scots a 7-5 lead. 

Straight from the restart the Scots were penalised for holding on to the ball, which presented Joe Ford with an easy kick to edge his side 8-7 ahead. That lead was extended minutes later as Holmes went over for his second try of the match. A grubber kick in behind saw a foot-race to the ball, and the winger was first to it to run under the posts. Ford then converted as Yorkshire suddenly held a 15-7 lead. 

George Cullen was then extremely unfortunate to be sent to the sin-bin. Yorkshire were deep in the Scottish 22 and a loose pass offered the fly-half the chance to intercept, but he spilled it and was then given a yellow card. Ford kicked the subsequent penalty to increase their advantage to 18-7. 

The Scots then got themselves back in to the match with a try from Dan Koroi on the 25 minute mark. A high tackle gave Scottish a penalty which was kicked to the corner, from the line out they drove over the line and the Fijian broke away to score his third try of the campaign. Lydon converted and cut the deficit to just four points. 

Just before the break Peter Lucock scored Carnegie’s third try of the match to edge them further in front. Again they were deep in the 22 and some quick hands created an overlap on the left wing for the centre to score. The conversion went wide, but they headed down the tunnel with a 23-14 lead. 

Ford kicked an early penalty in the second half to put his side 26-14 in front, but from them on it was all Scottish as they hunted for a way back in to the match. A number of penalties saw them inch towards the line but a knock-on from the line out left them frustrated. 

Jason Harries then stormed his way through the middle of the Carnegie defence and offloaded to Danny Kenny as the Scots went on the counter attack, but just as they looked to have got away they were pulled back for a forward pass. 

Scottish hammered away at the try-line in search of what would have been a deserved losing bonus point but the Carnegie defence held firm. With the last play of the match the Scots had a huge overlap and attempted to go wide before a huge hit under the posts which looked suspiciously high forced a knock on and therefore the end of the match. 

With supporters more than happy with what they saw through a huge amount of desire from the Scots, they will head to Penzance to face Cornish Pirates next weekend looking to return to winning ways knowing a similar performance will stand them in good stead. 

London Scottish: 
15 Peter Lydon 14 Alec Coombes 13 Robbie Fergusson 12 Tom Galbraith 11 Jason Harries 10 George Cullen (replaced by Ben Rath) 9 Ed Hoadley (replaced by Jamie Stevenson) 1 Jonny Harris (replaced by Derrick Appiah) 2 David Cherry 3 Dan Koroi (replaced by Phil Cringle) 4 Rory Bartle (c) 5 Neale Patrick (replaced by Wilhelm van der Sluys) 6 Huw Taylor (replaced by Tom Lindsay) 7 Joe Atkinson (replaced by Danny Kenny) 8 Ifereimi Boladau

16 Tom Lindsay 17 Derrick Appiah 18 Phil Cringle 19 Wilhelm van der Sluys 20 Danny Kenny 21 Jamie Stevenson 22 Ben Rath

Tries: David Cherry (9 minutes) Dan Koroi (25 minutes)
Conversions: Peter Lydon (9, 25 minutes)
Yellow Card: George Cullen

Yorkshire Carnegie: 
15. Chris Elder 14. Jonah Holmes 13. Pete Lucock 12. Tom Casson 11. Seb Stegmann (replaced by Stevie McColl) 10. Joe Ford 9. Alex Davies 1. Lewis Boyce 2. Phil Nilsen (replaced by Mike Mayhew) 3. Sione Faletau 4. Ben West 5. Matt Smith 6. Richard Mayhew 7. Josh Bainbridge 8. Ryan Burrows (c)

16. Mike Mayhew 17. Rob O’Donnell 18. James Thraves 19. Mike Myerscough 20. Chris Walker 21. Max Green 22. Stevie McColl

Tries: Jonah Holmes (5, 14 minutes) Peter Lucock (35 minutes)
Conversions: Joe Ford (14 minutes)
Penalties: Joe Ford (11, 18, 50 minutes)
Yellow Card: Joe Ford 

Referee: Dean Richards
Assistant Referees: Fergus Kirby & Rob Warburton
Fourth Official: Simon McConnell

Man of the match: David Cherry

Attendance: 1175

Half Time Score: London Scottish 14  –  23 Yorkshire Carnegie 

Pro Team - Match Pages - Score Summary

Pro Team - Match Pages - Lineups

Main Sponsor
Official Club Sponsors
Official Partners
Tournament Provider