DFP Header

Share this London Scottish page

Pro Team - Match Pages - Match Info

Scottish Storm past Yorkshire Carnegie

Scottish Storm past Yorkshire Carnegie

during the Greene King IPA Championship match between London Scottish Football Club and Yorkshire Carnegie at Richmond Athletic Ground, Richmond, United Kingdom on 13 January 2018. Photo by Jason Brown / PRiME Media Images.




Yorkshire have had mixed fortunes against London Scottish this season; falling to a dominant display on the opening game of the season at The Richmond Athletic Ground, they stole a win with a superb second half display in Ilkley in the reverse of this fixture in the B&I Cup.

Both teams were on the hunt for early points on a chilly & dry day in South West London. Leading Scottish out for the first time as captain, Isaac Miller made his presence felt within 2 minutes; from a 5m line out, London Scottish rumbled forward towards the line when Miller spotted a gap in the defensive line, and dived over to open the scoring. Sharp added the conversion to give Scottish an early lead, 7-0.

Scottish dominated the opening ten minutes, and applied pressure on the Carnegie defence all over the pitch. The pressure told on the 12th minute, when Carnegie were forced to concede another penalty in front of their posts. Sharp had no issue with the penalty, and extended the Scottish lead further, 10-0.

After 20 minutes, Carnegie finally seemed to wake up, and began putting together some phases of their own. Huge hits were going in from Uanivi, Tyas & Atkinson in the centre of the park, so Carnegie were forced to attack down the wings. On the 24th minute, Carnegie finally broke through the Scots defence down the wing, and were all the way up to the try line, when Hayhow ripped the ball from the attacker to prevent a certain try. It was a superb bit of defensive skill, however the ref called the game back for an earlier infringement, so Carnegie could re-set and attack from a 5m scrum. From the scrum, Carnegie sent the ball wide to Myerscough who dived for the line to score. Davies converted easily to make it 10-7 after 25 minutes.

It was Scottish’s turn to give away some soft penalties, on the half hour mark, Bainbridge scooped up a knock-on, and ran in for an easy touch down in the corner, Scottish 10-12 Carnegie.

Scottish kept hold of the ball well, and went through the phases deep in the Carnegie half; big carries from Tyas, Uanivi, Atkinson and Marley kept Carnegie on the back foot. 37 minutes played, and the Scots were deep in the Carnegie 22, building pressure when the defence unexpectedly turned the ball over; smart passing from the Carnegie backs sent the ball wide to Forsyth, who had a 50m run-in. Nobody was home for Scottish, so he had a gentle jog to the posts. Davies converted, so the half ended 10-19 to Carnegie.

The second half began slowly; Scottish kept hold of the ball well and went through the phases. More big carries from Atkinson, Uanivi and Tyas pushed Carnegie back into their own half. The constant pressure was finally rewarded after 49 minutes; on the 22, Sharp spotted a hole in the defence and stepped to race to the line, a smart offload to Miller on his shoulder gave him an easy run in under the posts. Sharp converted to cut Carnegie’s lead; LSFC 17-19 Carnegie.

More phases, and more pressure from the Scots followed in the next ten minutes. However, Carnegie did not sit back; on the 58th minute, Carnegie had the ball on the Scots 22 and were moving the ball around well; nothing was on, so Casson tried a grubber kick through… the ball went straight into Sharps legs, who scooped it up and sprinted away; Sharp offloaded to Luca-Smith who sprinted 60m, chased by two defenders, to score. Sharp converted, to extend the Scottish lead, 24-19.

That try seemed to lift Scottish, and they attacked with more speed and accuracy; within 5 minutes, they had crossed the line again. Excellent interplay from Ingall, Holland & Lyle got Scottish up to the Carnegie 22. Sharp, who had a fantastic game, stepped & offloaded to Nick Scott who sprinted through the Carnegie defence to score. LSFC 29-19.

Both teams attacked in the final ten minutes, but neither was able to put much together, so the final score was London Scottish 29-19 Yorkshire Carnegie.


London Scottish Christie; Miller (c); McQuillin; Uanivi; Tyas; Gillanders; Marley; Atkinson; Hoadley; Sharp; Luca-Smith; Lyle; Ingall; Hayhow; Holland // Replacements: Austin; Appiah; Waldren; McGeekie; Berry; Barton; Scott

Tries Miller (x2); Luca-Smith; Scott

Conversion Sharp (x3)

Penalty Sharp


Yorkshire Carnegie McColl; Watkins; Forsyth; Burdon; Brown; Irvine; Davies (c); Capps; Newborn; Thraves; Whetton; Myerscough; West; Bainbridge; Beck // Replacements: Poole; Vaughan; Valentine; Ward; Lloyd; Casson; Lucock

Tries Myerscough; Bainbridge; Forsyth

Conversion Davies (x2)



Referee Antony Woodthorpe

Attendance 879

Man of the Match James Tyas

Pro Team - Match Pages - Score Summary

Pro Team - Match Pages - Lineups

Main Sponsor
Official Club Sponsors
Official Partners
Tournament Provider