DFP Header

Share this London Scottish page

Pro Team - Match Pages - Match Info

Scottish fall just short in B&I Cup

Scottish fall just short in B&I Cup

It was a wet & windy Sunday in Ilkley, Yorkshire, where London Scottish took on Yorkshire Carnegie. London Scottish made hard work of their win over the Dragons Premiership Select last week, so were looking to make a much stronger start this week, which saw Mosses, Holland and Mills coming back into the starting line-up.

Yorkshire, had a miserable time away to Jersey last week. With a backline made up almost entirely of Carnegie Academy players, they found themselves behind within 4 minutes, and never managed to get a foot in the game, ultimately losing 32-3. In an effort to earn a win, a number of normal first team players were added back to the squad.


Though the rain had stopped & the sun was starting to come through the grey clouds, it remained wet under foot, and the wind was still strong so the opening exchanges were poor at best. For 40 minutes, neither side were able to put together any meaningful phases.

The stalemate was finally broken with 4 minutes to go in the first half when Carnegie were penalised for coming through the ruck just inside their own half. Basil Strang stepped up and judged the conditions perfectly, to put the ball straight down the middle. At half time, Scottish led 3-0.

The team talk at halftime seemed to have done wonders for both sides, and they both started on the attack. Within two minutes of the re-start, Carnegie worked the ball through the hands from the line out to Homer, who smashed his way through the defence to score. Smith converted to give Carnegie a 3-7 lead.

It only took a few minutes for Scottish to answer back; they were camped in the Carnegie 22 for the better part of five minutes. Eventually the pressure told, and Ben Mosses carried the ball and the final defender over the line to score. Strang pulled the conversion wide, but Scottish had re-captured the lead; 8-7.

A mixed bag of rugby followed in the next ten minutes; neither side able to apply much pressure to the other; the conditions making it hard to move the ball through the hands.

In the 69th minute, Carnegie won a line out on the 5m line, and threw it short to Buckle who dived into the corner unopposed. It wasn’t converted, so Carnegie went into the final 10 minutes, with a slender 8-12 lead.

Both teams went on the hunt for the killer blow, and on the 77th minute, Carnegie broke down the wing; some clever interplay between the wingers got the ball into the hands of Wolstenholme who, on his debut, scored under the posts. With the conversion added, the game ended London Scottish 8 – 19 Yorkshire Carnegie.


London Scottish Holland; Coombes; Ingall; Mosses; Stevenson; Strang; Barton; Berry; Marley; Walker; Gillanders; Mills (c); Waldren; Austin; Appiah // Replacements: George; Harris; Cringle; McGeekie; Atkinson; Hoadley; Sharp

Tries Mosses


Penalty Strang


Yorkshire Carnegie McColl; Watkins; Bullough; Casson; Brown; Lucock (c); Homer; Thomas; Buckle; Beech; West; Smith; Wilson; Bainbridge; Beck // Replacements: Newborn; Imiolek; Thraves; Whetton; Ward; Wolstenholme; Forsyth

Tries Homer; Buckle; Wolstenholme

Conversion Smith (x2)



Referee Sara Cox

Pro Team - Match Pages - Score Summary

Pro Team - Match Pages - Lineups

Main Sponsor
Official Club Sponsors
Official Partners
Tournament Provider