DFP Header

Share this London Scottish page

Pro Team - Match Pages - Match Info

Scottish Defeat in Yorkshire to End Season

Scottish Defeat in Yorkshire to End Season

For the final game of the season, London Scottish made their way up to Leeds to face Yorkshire Carnegie. After strong performances in their previous two games against Rotherham & Richmond, London Scottish were looking to make it three wins from three.

Yorkshire lost their last game to league strugglers Rotherham, so were keen to put that defeat behind them with a solid performance in front of their home fans.

On a bitterly cold afternoon at the Headingly Stadium, Scottish were in the lead before anyone knew what was happening. Atkins kicked off, and Matt Williams lept unchallenged, at full speed, on the 22m line to collect the ball in the air and run in an easy score – a contender for one of the fastest tries ever scored in professional rugby. Atkins added the 2, LSFC 7-0 Carnegie with less than 1 minute played.

Carnegie composed themselves straight away, and within 2 minutes they had answered back with a try of their own. From the re-start, Scottish knocked the ball on; from the scrum that followed, Carnegie were able to use their power to muscle themselves over the line in the corner. Beck the man holding the ball as they crossed the whitewash. McColl added the conversion, LSFC 7-7 Carnegie after no more than 3 minutes.

Only moments later, from the back of a Carnegie scrum by the touchline, the ball was moved into the middle of the pitch, Fox broke through and ran in a try under the posts. McColl converted, LSFC 7-14 Carnegie after only 6 minutes played.

Carnegie dominated the rest of the half, offloading superbly out of the tackles, carrying over the defenders, and pulling Scottish in every direction. It is a credit to Scots defence that Carnegie could only add a single try in the remaining 30 minutes – huge tackles went in from Miller, Milne, Chris Walker & Kenny.

On the 28 minute mark, Carnegie had a 5m line out… the initial movement was stopped by the Scots defence, but a number of pick & go’s later, and Carnegie found the try line. Matt Mayhew was the man with the ball, and McColl converted from the touchline to give Carnegie a comfortable half time lead, LSFC 7-21 Carnegie.


The opening ten minutes of the second half was all Scottish. Whatever was said at halftime had done the trick and they came out looking much quicker and sharper. The Carnegie defence, however, was able to withstand the huge amounts of pressure they were under. Against the run of play, Carnegie got the first points of the half, McColl dispatching an easy penalty to extend Yorkshire’s lead, LSFC 7-24 with 52 minutes played.

Scottish were keen to attack, and huge carries from Lyle and Neal in the center of the pitch got Scottish on the front foot, but their efforts were undone by a number of penalties. From a scrum, Carnegie got themselves up to the Scots 5m line, however Craig Holland read the play and intercepted the final pass along the 5m line, and ran the length of the pitch to score a superb solo try. Atkins converted, and with 18 minutes left to play, it was LSFC 14-24 Carnegie.

Scottish continued to plug away, but the Carnegie defence held out. Carries from Milne, Lyle, Neal, Kenny, and Atkinson were met with a wall of Yorkshire shirts. After a huge number of phases, Scottish had got themselves to within 10 metres of the try line. Kenny was over the ball, and instead of passing, spotted a hole in the defence and darted past everyone to score. Atkins couldn’t convert from the tight angle, so it was LSFC 19-24 Carnegie with 5 minutes left to play.

Despite Scottish’s best efforts, they were not able to conjure up a match-winning play. Another penalty conceded on the 79th minute gifted the opportunity to McColl to put the tie to bed, which he was more than happy to take. Final score, LSFC 19-27 Carnegie.

Carnegie attacked well when their chances came, and defended superbly, so in truth the score fairly reflected the game. Stand out performances from Chris Walker, Danny Kenny & Ed Milne.

London Scottish Harris; Miller; McQuillin; Milne; Gillanders; Atkinson; C. Walker; Kenny (c); Hoadley; Atkins; Williams; Lyle; Neal; Stevenson; Holland // Replacements: George; Christie; Cringle; Eliet; Marley; Walker; Hayhow

Tries Williams; Holland; Kenny

Conversion(s) Atkins (x2)

Yorkshire Carnegie Beach; M. Mayhew; Mitchell; Whetton; Smith; Bainbridge; R. Mayhew; Beck; Fox; Irvine; McColl; Bullough; Forsyth; Mann; Elder // Replacements: Newborn; Capps; Thraves; West; Lloyd; Davey; Wilson

Tries Beck; Fox; M. Mayhew

Conversion(s) McColl (x3)

Penalties McColl (x2)


Referee Simon Harding

Attendence 1,720

Pro Team - Match Pages - Score Summary

Pro Team - Match Pages - Lineups

Main Sponsor
Official Club Sponsors
Official Partners
Tournament Provider