DFP Header

Share this London Scottish page

Pro Team - Match Pages - Match Info

Scots suffer late defeat to Nottingham despite another comeback

Scots suffer late defeat to Nottingham despite another comeback

London Scottish suffered a last-minute defeat to Nottingham after Dan Mugford's drop goal gave the visitors an 18-17 win at the Athletic Ground.

London Scottish suffered a last-minute defeat to Nottingham after Dan Mugford’s drop goal gave the visitors an 18-17 win at the Athletic Ground.

The Scots trailed 15-3 at half-time which gave themselves another mountain to climb, but they managed to claw back thanks to tries from Mark Bright and Drew Locke in the second-half. 


Locke scored with just three minutes remaining, and Peter Lydon’s touchline conversion looked to have given them yet another late victory, but Nottingham had other ideas and stole the win at the death. 

Mugford’s first penalty gave Nottingham an early lead, and set the tone for what was to be a frustrating opening 40 minutes for Scottish. 

Josh Thomas Brown was sent to the sin-bin as the visitors put huge pressure on the Scottish line, which turned into points when Paul Grant rolled over the line after 13 minutes. 

From a five-metre line-out the number-eight latched on to the end of a driving maul and scored his first of two first-half tries to give his side an 8-0 advantage. 

Scottish were ravaged by injuries, and lost Max Maidment, Neale Patrick and James Hallam in quick succession. 

Matt Williams denied Nottingham a second try, a grubber kick in behind meant that the Scottish winger had to use all of his pace to get back and dot the ball down under severe pressure.

Paul Grant scored his second try of the night just before the half-hour mark. Another driving maul had the same outcome as before, with the Nottingham man under a crowd of bodies but able to stretch and score. 

Peter Lydon opened his account for the evening just before the break with a penalty, meaning that the Scots trailed 15-3 at the break. 

The change in tempo from the hosts was notable in the second half, and they threatened to score a number of times in the opening exchanges. 

Freddie Clarke and Matt Williams both broke the defence on separate occasions but the final pass couldn’t be gathered. 

Rupert Cooper was sent to the sin-bin as Scottish continued to press, and Mark Bright scored shortly after to bring the Scots back into the match. 

In trademark fashion he was on hand from a rolling maul to drive over the line, and Lydon’s conversion brought the deficit to five points with just over 20 minutes remaining. 

The Scots appeared to have secured another dramatic victory with 77 minutes on the clock. Lydon’s looping pass found Locke on the wing, and the centre flew past the defenders to score in the corner. The conversion from Lydon from the most difficult of angles put Scottish 17-15 ahead as they looked to close out the last stages of the match. 

Nottingham earned a scrum just outside the Scottish 22, and after a number of phases Dan Mugford was back in the pocket. His left-footed drop-goal went straight through the posts and condemned the Scots to their second defeat in a row. 

Scottish face Doncaster Knights away next weekend in what will be another tough challenge, as the Greene King IPA Championship continues.

London Scottish:
15. Peter Lydon 14. Matt Williams 13. Drew Locke 12. Jason Harries 11. Joe Marchant 10. Lee Millar 9. Matt Heeks 1. James Hallam (replaced by Kurt Schonert) 2. Adam Kwasnicki (replaced by David Cherry) 3. Max Maidment (replaced by Matt Shields) 4. Neale Patrick (replaced by Kieran Treadwell) 5. Josh Thomas Brown 6. Freddie Clarke 7. Chris Walker 8. Mark Bright (c)

16. David Cherry 17. Kurt Schonert 18. Matt Shields 19. Rory Bartle 20. Kieran Treadwell 21. Ben Calder 22. Craig Jackson

Tries: Mark Bright (55 minutes) Drew Locke (77 minutes)
Conversions: Peter Lydon (56, 77 minutes)
Penalties: Peter Lydon (30 minutes)
Yellow Card: Josh Thomas Brown 

15) Billy Robinson 14) Sam Coghlan Murray (replaced by Ricky Andrew) 13) Ben Woods 12) Heath Stevens 11) Dean Hammond 10) Dan Mugford 9) Murray McConnell (replaced by Darrly Veenendaal) 1) Kieran Davies 2) TJ Harris (replaced by Jon Vickers) 3) Conor Carey 4) Toby Freeman 5) Dan Montagu (c) 6) Rupert Cooper (replaced by Ben Morris) 7) Rob Langley 8) Paul Grant

16) Jon Vickers 17) Tom Heard 18) Morgan Eames 19) Ben Morris 20) Darryl Veenendaal 21) Lawrence Rayner 22) Ricky Andrew

Tries: Paul Grant (13, 27 minutes)
Conversions: Dan Mugford (27 minutes)
Penalties: Dan Mugford (3 minutes)
Drop Goal: Dan Mugford (80 minutes)
Yellow Card: Rupert Cooper

Referee: Matthew O’Grady
Assistant Referees: Roger Baileff & Clare Daniels
Fourth Official: Veryan Boscawen

Half-Time: London Scottish 3 – 15 Nottingham

Full-Time: London Scottish 17 – 18 Nottingham

Man-of-the-Match: Mark Bright 

Attendance: 894


Pro Team - Match Pages - Score Summary

Pro Team - Match Pages - Lineups

Main Sponsor
Official Club Sponsors
Official Partners
Tournament Provider