DFP Header

Share this London Scottish page

Pro Team - Match Pages - Match Info

Scots push Irish all the way in narrow Exile Derby defeat at the Madejski Stadium

Scots push Irish all the way in narrow Exile Derby defeat at the Madejski Stadium

London Scottish produced a much improved performance as they gave London Irish an almighty scare at the Madejski Stadium this afternoon.

London Scottish produced a much improved performance as they gave London Irish an almighty scare at the Madejski Stadium this afternoon.

The Scots were consistent for all 80 minutes and were undeservedly denied a losing bonus point with the last kick of the game, as they eventually fell to a 29-20 defeat. 


Second half tries from Auguy Slowik and David Cherry had the score at 26-20 with just over five minutes remaining, and on another day the Scots may well have left Reading with a memorable victory.

The hosts started ominously well and opened the scoring just four minutes in with a try from Ben Franks. A penalty was kicked to the corner, and the World Cup winning prop drove over the line from the rolling maul to give his side the perfect start. 

Peter Lydon cut the deficit to 5-3 with a well struck penalty from 35 metres out after 10 minutes, and he followed that with another one five minutes later to give the Scots a deserved 6-5 lead after the first quarter of the match. 

The set-piece was giving Scottish plenty of front-foot ball with Ifereimi Boladau smashing his way past the gain line on numerous occasions to give his side every chance of extending the lead. 

Irish responded well and went ahead after another rolling maul try, this time scored by David Paice, once again in the right hand corner. Greig Tonks converted as the hosts edged 12-6 in front. 

Scottish then had a couple of half-chances as Auguy Slowik continued to terrorise the Irish defence with his pace on his debut, and then a Danny Kenny interception was grubbered deep in to the 22 but carried on rolling and went past the dead ball line. 

Peter Lydon was then harshly sent to the sin-bin just before the break as he obstructed James Marshall who chipped ahead past the last man. From the resulting penalty Irish got their third try with the last play of the half and it was Ben Franks who drove over for his second of the afternoon, with Tonks adding the extras for a 19-6 half time lead. 

The Scots upped the tempo in the second-half and played the majority of the rugby as they looked for a way back in to the match. 

Auguy Slowik provided it with a debut try, as Harry Sheppard’s perfectly measured chip over the top bounced in to the hands of the winger to acrobatically dot down to score. Lydon added the extras, as the lead was cut to 19-13 with 50 minutes on the clock.

Slowik then went agonisingly close to scoring his second just two minutes later. The ball went loose and he kicked ahead, but just as he went to place the ball down the ball was fumbled and Irish survived for a 22 drop out.

The hosts then extended their lead with the bonus point try just before the hour. An overlap on the right wing allowed Johnny Williams a free run in to dive over the line. Tonks again converted, as they went 26-13 ahead. 

In tough conditions both sides were kicking the ball in an attempt to gain territory as the clock went past the 70 minute mark, and a Scottish penalty was kicked in to the corner to give them a huge chance.

The rolling maul headed towards the line and it was David Cherry who yet again got himself on the score sheet to make for a tight last five minutes. Lydon converted, to cut the gap to just six points. 

Irish then looked the more likely to score as they looked to close out the match, but with one minute to go Scottish were awarded a free-kick. Knowing that they would have to go 90 metres to score they looked to play the ball out wide, but were unfortunately penalised and Tonks kicked the penalty to deny the Scots a bonus point and secure Irish a hard-fought 29-20 victory. 

Scottish head back to the Athletic Ground next Saturday to face Doncaster Knights with renewed belief, and you can secure your ticket for what should be an entertaining match by clicking here. 

London Irish: 
15 Greig Tonks, 14 Alex Lewington, 13 Fergus Mulchrone, 12 Johnny Williams, 11 Ben Ransom, 10 James Marshall, 9 Darren Allinson, 1 Tom Court, 2 David Paice (c), 3 Ben Franks, 4 Will Lloyd, 5 Sebastian De Chaves, 6 Mike Coman, 7 Blair Cowan, 8 Tevita Koloamatangi
16 David Porecki, 17 Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi, 18 Lovejoy Chawatama, 19 Josh McNally, 20 Luke Narraway, 21 Brendan McKibbin, 22 Matt Williams  

Tries: Ben Franks (4, 40 minutes) David Paice (21 minutes) Johnny Williams (56 minutes)
Conversions: Greig Tonks (21, 40, 56 minutes)
Penalty: Greig Tonks (80 minutes)
Yellow Card: Luke Narraway

London Scottish: 
15 Peter Lydon 14 Matt Williams 13 Robbie Fergusson 12 Tom Galbraith 11 Auguy Slowik 10 Harry Sheppard 9 Ed Hoadley (replaced by Jamie Stevenson) 1 Jonny Harris (replaced by Grant Shiells) 2 David Cherry (replaced by Dom McGeekie) 3 Ewan McQuillin (replaced by Phil Cringle) 4 Rory Bartle (c) 5 Charlie Hewitt 6 Danny Kenny (replaced by Matt Marley) 7 Joe Atkinson 8 Ifereimi Boladau (replaced by Dan Koroi)

16 Matt Marley 17 Grant Shiells 18 Phil Cringle 19 Dom McGeekie 20 Dan Koroi 21 Jamie Stevenson 22 Craig Holland 

Tries: Auguy Slowik (48 minutes) David Cherry (73 minutes)
Conversions: Peter Lydon (48, 73 minutes)
Penalties: Peter Lydon (9, 16 minutes)
Yellow Card: Peter Lydon

Referee: Michael Hudson
Assistant Referees: Simon Adams & Gareth Copsey
Fourth Official: Veryan Boscawen

Man of the match: Ben Franks

Attendance: 2572

Half Time Score: London Irish 19 – 6 London Scottish

Pro Team - Match Pages - Score Summary

Pro Team - Match Pages - Lineups

Main Sponsor
Official Club Sponsors
Official Partners
Tournament Provider