DFP Header

Share this London Scottish page

Pro Team - Match Pages - Match Info

Scots off to a flyer in B&I Cup with bonus-point victory over Cardiff

Scots off to a flyer in B&I Cup with bonus-point victory over Cardiff

London Scottish made the perfect start to their 2016/17 British and Irish Cup campaign with a 26-21 bonus-point victory over Cardiff Blues Premiership Select at Cardiff Arms Park.

London Scottish made the perfect start to their 2016/17 British and Irish Cup campaign with a 26-21 bonus-point victory over Cardiff Blues Premiership Select at Cardiff Arms Park.

The Scots trailed 21-12 early in the second-half but turned the match around with two quick tries, and held on towards the end for a hard-fought victory in terrible conditions to make it three wins in a row in all competitions. 


Scottish nearly got off to the perfect start with a try from kick-off. Cardiff attempted to clear their lines but Matt Marley charged down and gathered the ball but was hauled down just short of the try-line and held up, with the resulting scrum seeing Cardiff steal the ball and clear. 

After more early pressure from the Scots, Cameron Fenton got his first try of the afternoon on the 10 minute mark. The hooker threw in to the lineout and then regathered the ball as the maul was powering towards the line to open the scoring. Lydon’s conversion put his side 7-0 ahead. 

Cardiff responded with a try of their own to level the score. With the Scots under pressure a loose pass allowed James Beal to claim the ball and race clear from 40 metres to score under the posts, which was converted by Jarrod Evans. 

Scottish then hit back with Fenton’s second try of the match, which was scored in identical fashion to the first. A lineout from five metres out was driven towards the line, and the hooker dotted down to put the Scots back in front.

The Blues again came back with a try just before the break. A lineout outside the Scottish 22 was gathered, and Lewis Jones dummied to fool the entire defence, and run through unattended to dive under the posts. Evans’ conversion edged them 14-12 ahead, which could have been extended if a final pass had gone to hand with the hosts on the attack, but at the break Cardiff held a two point advantage. 

Cardiff put themselves in a commanding position with a third try just two minutes in to the second half. Jarrod Evans’ dummy in the midfield saw him break the line, and he then drew in the last defender and passed to Aled Summerhill who coasted to a try. Evans converted to give the hosts a 21-12 lead. 

The Scots needed a big response, and Welshman Matt Marley provided it with 50 minutes on the clock. A rolling maul was brought down near the line, and after multiple phases deep in the Cardiff 22 the ball was recycled to the flanker, who drove over from close range to bring Scottish back in to the match. Lydon’s conversion cut the deficit to 21-19. 

Five minutes later the Scots took the lead and secured the four-try bonus point with a score from Ewan McQuillin. Lydon found a monstrous kick to bring his side to within five metres of the try-line. A rolling maul was yet again driving towards the line with the forwards dominant, and McQuillin broke away to score. Lydon’s third conversion of the match gave Scottish a five point advantage. 

The Scots were then forced to defend for long periods after some handling errors crept in to their game in the heavy rain.

With just two minutes remaining Cardiff had possession in the Scottish half, and a chip in behind was heavily chased down. It was a foot race to gather the ball, and Patrick Kelly’s fully stretched arm managed to dot the ball down inside the dead-ball area to secure a 22 drop-out, despite a number of players from the Welsh capital celebrating a possible try. 

The Scots then ground out for the final play of the match and secured a tough 26-21 victory to get the B&I Cup campaign off to the best possible start, and ensure that they sit top of the pool after the first round of matches. 

The British and Irish Cup continues next Saturday (22nd October) at home to Ulster ‘A’ , tickets can be purchased by clicking here.

Cardiff Blues Premiership Select:
15. Rhun Williams 14. Owen Lane 13. Aled Summerhill 12. Declan Williams 11. James Beal 10. Jarrod Evans 9. Lewis Jones 1. James Howe 2. Liam Belcher 3. Kieron Assiratti 4. Ben Murphy 5. Seb Davies 6. Shane Lewis Hughes 7. Morgan Sienawski 8. Hemi Barnes 

16. Joe Tomlinson 17. Brad Thyer 18. Ben Leung 19. Luke Crocker 20. James Sheekey 21. Dane Blacker 22. Ben Jones

Tries: James Beal (17 minutes) Lewis Jones (34 minutes) Aled Summerhill (42 minutes)
Conversions: Jarrod Evans (17, 34, 42 minutes)

London Scottish:
15 Ben Rath (replaced by Tom Galbraith) 14 Craig Holland 13 Alec Coombes 12 Patrick Kelly 11 Jason Harries 10 Peter Lydon 9 Ed Hoadley (replaced by Hugh Fraser) 1 Jonny Harris (replaced by Ralph Adams Hale) 2 Cameron Fenton 3 Ewan McQuillin (replaced by Phil Cringle) 4 Rory Bartle (c) 5 Dom McGeekie (replaced by Alex Humfrey) 6 Matt Marley 7 Joe Atkinson 8 Ally Miller (replaced by Danny Kenny)

16 Devlin Hope 17 Ralph Adams-Hale 18 Phil Cringle 19 Alex Humfrey 20 Danny Kenny 21 Hugh Fraser 22 Tom Galbraith

Tries: Cameron Fenton (10, 21 minutes) Matt Marley (50 minutes) Ewan McQuillin (56 minutes)
Conversions: Peter Lydon (10, 50, 56 minutes)
Yellow Card: Cameron Fenton

Referee: Frank Murphy
Assistant Referees: Aled Evans & Gareth John
Fourth Official: Lyndon Young

Half-Time Score: Cardiff Blues Premiership Select 14 – 12 London Scottish

Attendance: 787

Watch match highlights as well as post match reaction from John Dalziel and Cameron Fenton below: 



Pro Team - Match Pages - Score Summary

Pro Team - Match Pages - Lineups

Main Sponsor
Official Club Sponsors
Official Partners
Tournament Provider