DFP Header

Share this London Scottish page

Pro Team - Match Pages - Match Info

Scots left frustrated after late penalty gives Richmond bragging rights in Athletic Ground Derby

Scots left frustrated after late penalty gives Richmond bragging rights in Athletic Ground Derby

London Scottish suffered a disappointing defeat to neighbours Richmond, after a late penalty secured the visitors a 16-17 victory.

London Scottish suffered a disappointing defeat to neighbours Richmond, after a late penalty secured the visitors a 16-17 victory.

The Scots held a narrow 16-14 lead heading in to the final five minutes, but a penalty from Robert Kirby gave Richmond a one-point advantage. Scottish gave everything in the remaining minutes but couldn’t break the defence, as Richmond celebrated their first victory of the Greene King IPA Championship season.


The match started positively for Scottish who took an early lead, with a try from Craig Holland. The Scots had a lineout deep in the Richmond 22, and after patiently going through the phases the ball was spun wide to Holland who dived over the line in the corner to give the Scots a 5-0 advantage.

Both sides struggled with discipline in the early stages with the referee frequently blowing his whistle, but it was Richmond who were next to get on the scoreboard.

Ronnie McLean-Dents was the beneficiary of an overlap on the right hand side to score their first try of the evening, and an impressive touchline conversion from Robert Kirby gave Richmond the lead.

Eight minutes later McLean-Dents went over for another try. Again Richmond had a number of phases in the Scottish 22, and the ball was spun to the centre to score in the corner. Kirby again converted, giving his side a 14-5 lead as we approached half-time.

Scottish responded straight away, putting Richmond under huge pressure. A number of penalties meant a number of line-outs within inches of the try-line. Craig Holland found himself in space on the wing, but was bundled in to touch and the chance went begging.

With the final play before the break the Scots got themselves back in to the match. A great score saw the ball in the hands of Pete Lydon on the counter attack, he drew in the last defender and passed to Ben Rath who went flying down the wing to score in the corner. The conversion went wide, meaning Richmond had a 14-10 lead at the break.

The Scots were left frustrated in the opening stages of the second half. A number of opportunities in the Richmond 22 were missed after handling errors and a lack of discipline, although Lydon kicked a penalty in the 55th minute to cut the gap to just one point.

With 15 minutes remaining Scottish eventually took the lead with another penalty from Lydon, who kicked through the posts from just outside the Richmond 22 to give his side a 16-14 lead heading in to the closing stages of the match.

Richmond were hammering away at the Scottish defence with five minutes left on the clock, and got their reward with a penalty inside the 22. Kirby stepped up calmly and slotted the kick to give the visitors a narrow lead.

Scottish refused to give in and were still adamant on playing expansive rugby in attempt to salvage a win, but they ran out of time and it was Richmond who secured a historic win, in the first meeting between the old rivals for seven years.

The Scots now move on to another challenge, as they travel to face Bedford Blues next Friday night at Goldington Road in attempt to get back to winning ways.
London Scottish:
15 Peter Lydon 14 Craig Holland 13 Jason Harries 12 Tom Galbraith 11 Ben Rath 10 Rory Jennings 9 Jamie Stevenson 1 Grant Shiells 2 David Cherry 3 Phil Cringle 4 Rory Bartle (c) 5 Callum Hunter Hill 6 Danny Kenny 7 Joe Atkinson 8 Ally Miller

16 Devlin Hope 17 Jonny Harris 18 Dan Koroi 19 Alex Humfrey 20 Levi Douglas 21 Hugh Fraser 22 George Cullen

Tries: Craig Holland (9 minutes) Ben Rath (40 minutes)
Penalties: Peter Lydon (55, 64 minutes)

15 Rob Kirby 14 Adam Gadsby 13 Cameron Mitchell 12 Ronnie McLean 11 Martin Freeman 10 Rory Damant 9 Sam Stuart 1 Jeremy Cunnew 2 Ross Grimstone 3 Rupert Harden 4 Will Warden 5 Matt Corker 6 Adam Peters 7 Jack Allcock 8 Chris Davies

16 Jason Phipps 17 Joe Tarrant 18 Harry Edwards 19 Adam Boland 20 Jamie Gibb 21 Ed Coulson 22 Charlie Lenygon

Tries: Ronald Mclean-Dents (22, 30 minutes)
Conversions: Robert Kirby (22, 30 minutes)
Penalties: Robert Kirby (76 minutes)

Referee:  Simon Harding
Assistant Referees: Simon Adams & Andy Watson
Fourth Official: Philip Davies

Half-Time Score: London Scottish 10 – 14 Richmond

Attendance: 1684

Man-Of-The-Match: Jamie Stevenson

Watch highlights below:

Pro Team - Match Pages - Score Summary

Pro Team - Match Pages - Lineups

Main Sponsor
Official Club Sponsors
Official Partners
Tournament Provider