DFP Header

Share this London Scottish page

Pro Team - Match Pages - Match Info

Scots Leave It Late To Sink Pirates

Scots Leave It Late To Sink Pirates

London Scottish made it back-to-back bonus point victories at the Athletic Ground this evening after seeing off a stubborn Cornish Pirates outfit 27-15.

London Scottish made it back-to-back bonus point victories at the Athletic Ground this evening after seeing off a stubborn Cornish Pirates outfit 27-15.

The game was very much in the balance heading into the final 10 minutes but, much like last week’s win over Yorkshire Carnegie, Scottish showed great mental resolve to take control and seal all five points near the end.


The manner of the victory was particularly pleasing with wingers Matt Williams (twice) and Miles Mantella finishing off some fine moves and skipper Mark Bright sealing the try bonus point – once again crossing the whitewash from the tail of a maul.

With a fortnight’s break from competitive action, the win means Scottish will remain third in the Championship ahead of their next match away to Bedford Blues on January 31st.  

A stop-start opening 40 began brightly for Scottish who were rewarded with a try after 10 minutes.

From a maul 35 metres out, Mark Bright fed scrum-half Jamie Stevenson on the narrow side and he showed quick hands to play left winger Miles Mantella into space.

The league’s top marksman last season had plenty to do but showed great pace to win a foot race to the line.

With Peter Lydon picking up a leg injury which prevented him kicking, Dan Newton took over kicking duties and did not disappoint slotting over for 7-0.

Pirates responded well pressurising the Scots line and Kieran Hallett kicked a penalty on 19 minutes to reduce the gap to four points.

The stand-off missed his second penalty attempt on the half hour mark before Scottish pressed for a second try just before the interval only for Pirates to hold firm.

The visitors got off to the perfect start in the second half, scoring a try from an attacking line-out through hooker Tom Channon with Hallett moving Pirates ahead, 10-7.

The lead lasted barely 60 seconds, Matt Williams scoring Scottish’s second try in the right corner after being played in by full-back Lydon.

Newton kicked the touchline conversion and the hosts were four points to the good once again.

Scottish were getting consistently penalised at scrum time and were made to pay when Pirates kicked to the corner from another set piece penalty, with Channon once more going over for the try from the resulting line-out.

Hallett missed the conversion from the left touchline but his side were ahead, 15-14.

The see-saw half continued on script, Matt Williams claiming his brace in the right corner on 63 minutes after superb hands by Mark Lilley and Peter Lydon.

This time Newton missed the tough conversion and Scottish remained just 19-15 in front.

Back came Pirates with yet another attacking line-out on Scottish’s line but crucially the visitors knocked on as they pressed for a third try of their own.

The Scots took advantage of the good fortune, making their way up the pitch to eventually score their fourth, bonus point try.

It was that man Mark Bright who crashed over for his 14th try of the season from a driving maul.

Newton failed with the extras but the Scots now had daylight courtesy of a nine point cushion.

And the Welshman added gloss to the win kicking a penalty with the last kick of the game which made the final score 27-15.

REACTION: Matt Williams savours bonus point win, click here.

London Scottish take on Bristol Rugby on Saturday February 7, 3pm kick-off at Richmond Athletic Ground.

The RBS Six Nations clash between France and Scotland, 5pm kick-off, will be shown in the bars after the game, so why not make it a double-header of rugby action that day! 

For tickets and hospitality, click here.

There will also be a kicking competition at half-time that day where you can win a night’s stay (bed and breakfast) at The Orange Tree Pub, Richmond.

For more information on how to enter, click here.

London Scottish:
15, Peter Lydon, 14, Matt Williams, 13, Connor Braid (replaced by Matt Heeks), 12, Matt Hawke (replaced by Harry Sloan), 11, Miles Mantella, 10, Dan Newton, 9, Jamie Stevenson, 1, James Hallam (replaced by Mark Lilley), 2, Adam Kwasnicki, 3, Max Maidment (replaced by Ben Prescott), 4, Josh Thomas Brown (replaced by Neil Best), 5, Gregor Gillanders, 6, James Phillips, 7, Chris Walker, 8, Mark Bright (c).
16, Mark Lilley, 17, David Cherry, 18, Ben Prescott, 19, Tai Tuisamoa, 20, Neil Best, 21, Matt Heeks, 22, Harry Sloan.
Tries: Miles Mantella (8 minutes) Matt Williams (47, 63 minutes) Mark Bright (75 minutes)
Conversions: Dan Newton (8, 48 minutes)
Penalties: Dan Newton (80 minutes)
Cornish Pirates: 
15 Max Bodilly (replaced by Mike Pope), 14 Kieran Goss, 13 Tom Reilly, 12 Tom Hendrickson (replaced by Alex Dancer), 11 Craig Holland (replaced by Matt Evans), 10 Kieran Hallett, 9 Tom Kessell; 1 Jamal Ford-Robinson, 2 Tom Channon (replaced by Rob Elloway), 3 Alan Paver (replaced by Kieran Davies), 4 Will Graulich (replaced by Joel Conlon), 5 Darren Barry, 6 Chris Morgan (c), 7 Joe Atkinson, 8 Laurie McGlone (replaced by Todd Lowry).
16 Rob Elloway, 17 Kieran Davies, 18 Joel Conlon, 19 Todd Lowry, 20 Matt Evans, 21 Alex Dancer, 22 Mike Pope.

Tries: Tom Channon (45, 52 minutes)
Conversions: Kieran Hallett (45 minutes)
Penalties: Kieran Hallett (19 minutes)
Referee: Wayne Barnes 
Assistant Referees: Jonathan Healy & Simon Adams
Fourth Official: Robert Warburton
MAN OF THE MATCH: James Phillips

Pro Team - Match Pages - Score Summary

Pro Team - Match Pages - Lineups

Main Sponsor
Official Club Sponsors
Official Partners
Tournament Provider