DFP Header

Share this London Scottish page

Pro Team - Match Pages - Match Info

Scots continue impressive form with dramatic win over Ulster ‘A’

Scots continue impressive form with dramatic win over Ulster ‘A’

London Scottish extended their winning run to four matches with a late comeback to record a 34-29 victory over Ulster 'A' at the Athletic Ground.

London Scottish extended their winning run to four matches with a late comeback to record a 34-29 victory over Ulster ‘A’ at the Athletic Ground.

The Scots trailed for the majority of the second-half, but two late tries made sure that they secured an impressive win over the Irish side in the British and Irish Cup. 


Scottish got off to the perfect start, with two early tries both scored by Alec Coombes putting them in to a 12-0 lead after just eight minutes.

With three minutes on the clock a break from Robbie Fergusson gave the Scots front foot ball inside the Ulster 22, and then a number of phases later the ball was spun out to Coombes who sprinted over the line. Harry Sheppard’s conversion from the touchline added the extras. 

Five minutes later another score from Coombes followed. The captain Fergusson again broke the line of defence, and found an offload that went straight to his fellow Scot, who was able to run clear and score in the corner. 

Ulster responded impressively and got themselves back in to the match on the 15 minute mark. A five metre line out gave them a great attacking position, and Rob Little drove over from close range to score. Johnny McPhillips converted to cut the deficit to 12-7. 

The visitors then levelled five minutes later. A five metre scrum after they were previously held up over the line again gave them a strong position, and number eight Lorcan Dow was at the base to dot down. The conversion was pulled wide, with the score 12-12 after 22 minutes. 

Scottish then went back in front through their third try of the afternoon. Craig Holland’s jinking run saw him beat four defenders but the winger was hauled down inside the 22. Quick ball then gave the Scots an overlap on the right hand side, and Fergusson stepped his opposite number to score a great team try. Sheppard’s second conversion of the match gave his side a 19-12 lead, which was extended to 22-12 with a penalty from the fly-half just after.

Ulster then scored with the last play of the half to bring themselves within three points of the hosts. With the ball deep in the Scottish 22, a huge overlap allowed John Andrew to score, and McPhillips converted to make it 22-19 at half-time. 

David Cherry came on for his 50th appearance for the club as the second half began, but it was Ulster who had the better start. 

McPhillips kicked a penalty to bring the score level at 22-22 on 43 minutes, before they went in front just before the hour. John Andrew’s second try from close range after a turnover in the 22 allowed him to run clear and dive over the line. The conversion gave them a seven point advantage. 

The Scots refused to lie down, and a try from Ally Miller with 15 minutes remaining set up a grandstand finish. With the ball deep in the Ulster 22, Miller carried over impressively after Alex Humfrey's offload to bring his side within two points of the Irishmen. 

Both sides had opportunities with the ball being kept in play and some great attacking rugby on show, but it was Scottish who took their chance to steal victory with five minutes remaining. 

Some brilliant hands from the forwards brought them to within striking distance, and man-of-the-match Fergusson took the opportunity with a sprint in to the corner to score. Craig Holland’s touchline conversion gave Scottish a five point lead with as many minutes left on the clock. 

Ulster came back with purpose and had multiple phases in the 22, but the Scots managed to hold out for a precious victory which takes them to top spot in Pool One of the British and Irish Cup with two wins out of two. 

The Scots now turn their attention back to the Greene King IPA Championship, and host London Irish next weekend on Sunday 30th October at 15:00. With a big crowd expected at the Athletic Ground and hospitality already sold out, click here to secure your tickets now! 

London Scottish: 
15 Tom Galbraith 14 Craig Holland 13 Robbie Fergusson 12 Alec Combes 11 Cameron Ives (replaced by Ben Rath) 10 Harry Sheppard (replaced by Devlin Hope) 9 Hugh Fraser (replaced by Jamie Stevenson) 1 Grant Shiells (replaced by Ralph Adams-Hale) 2 Cameron Fenton (replaced by David Cherry) 3 Dan Koroi 4 Dom McGeekie 5 Neale Patrick (replaced by Phil Cringle) 6 Alex Humfrey 7 Matt Marley (replaced by Joe Atkinson) 8 Danny Kenny

16 David Cherry 17 Ralph Adams-Hale 18 Phil Cringle 19 Ally Miller 20 Devlin Hope 21 Jamie Stevenson 22 Ben Rath

Tries: Alec Coombes (3, 8 minutes) Robbie Fergusson (25, 74 minutes) Ally Miller (66 minutes)
Conversions: Harry Sheppard (3, 25 minutes) Craig Holland (76 minutes)
Penalties: Harry Sheppard (34 minutes)

Ulster ‘A’: 
15 Johnny McPhillips, 14 Rob Lyttle, 13 Jacob Stockdale, 12 Mark Best, 11 Aaron Cairns, 10 Brett Herron, 9 Angus Lloyd; 1 Jonny Simpson, 2 John Andrew, 3 Wiehahn Herbst, 4 Dan Tuohy (C), 5 Kieran Treadwell, 6 Stephen Mulholland, 7 Conor Joyce, 8 Lorcan Dow

16 Jonny Murphy, 17 Tommy O'Hagan, 18 Craig Trenier, 19 John Donnan, 20 Nick Timoney, 21 Conor Kelly, 22 Lewis Sampson.

Tries: Rob Lyttle (15 minutes) Lorcan Dow (22 minutes) John Andrew (40 minutes) John Andrew (61 minutes)
Conversions: Johnny McPhillips (15, 40, 62 minutes)
Penalties: Johnny McPhillips (43 minutes)

Referee: Gareth Newman
Assistant Referees: Nigel Carrick & Christopher Bartlett 
Fourth Official: Philip Davies 

Half-Time Score: London Scottish 22  – 19 Ulster ‘A’ 

Attendance: 906

Man of the Match: Robbie Fergusson

Watch highlights and post-match reaction from Robbie Fergusson, Alec Coombes and Peter Richards below: 


Pro Team - Match Pages - Score Summary

Pro Team - Match Pages - Lineups

Main Sponsor
Official Club Sponsors
Official Partners
Tournament Provider