DFP Header

Share this London Scottish page

Pro Team - Match Pages - Match Info

Reds Pull Away Under the Friday Night Lights

Reds Pull Away Under the Friday Night Lights

during the Greene King IPA Championship match between London Scottish Football Club and Jersey Reds at Richmond Athletic Ground, Richmond, United Kingdom on 16 March 2018. Photo by David Horn.




It was a perfect night for some rugby on Friday night in Richmond, despite a little rain early in the evening, the weather was clear and warm. Jersey traveled to Richmond off the back of a huge win over league leaders Bristol, so were on the hunt for back to back championship victories.

Scottish have lost on their last couple of outings; giving away too many penalties has been their un-doing recently, so they were hoping that their training ground work would pay off under the Friday Night Lights.

The game began at 200mph, both teams were attacking and looking for early points. Line breaks from Matt Williams and Joe Atkinson got Scottish on the front foot, but the Reds defence held out. It was Jersey who got points on the board first; going through the phases in the Scots 22, Mark Best cut a beautiful line through the defence, and allowed himself a swan dive over the line. Cope converted easily from in front of the posts, LSFC 0-7 Reds after 7 minutes.

The Reds continued to pour forward, but on the 14 minute mark, Ross Neal read their passing and plucked the ball out of the air, and sprinted 40m to touch down under the post. Sharp converted to level the scores, LSFC 7-7 Reds.

Scottish kept the tempo of the game high, but were conceding too many penalties, which allowed Jersey to get on the front foot. Some last ditch scramble defence stopped Jersey making too much ground into the Scots 22, but the Reds recycled the ball well & floated a pass to Van Breda on the wing for an easy score. 18 minutes gone, LSFC 7-12 Reds.

More penalties conceded, and more points for Jersey. Penalised on the 5m line, the Reds went for a scrum. After a couple of re-sets, the powerful Jersey pack rolled on towards the line, Argyle in possession of the ball as they crossed. Easily converted by Cope, LSFC 7-19 Reds after 29 minutes. Both teams attacked in the final 10 of the half, but neither was able to add to their tally, so it stayed 7-19 to the end of the half.

The second half began with a bang for Jersey, almost from the off, they carried the ball into contact and made huge ground. A beautiful crossfield kick into space was collected by Worrall who had an easy run in to the corner. This was his first of three well taken tries in the game. 41 minutes gone, LSFC 7-24 Jersey.

52 minutes gone, and the Scots attacked; some nice, flowing passing down the wing was interrupted by a knock on from a Reds player just outside the Reds 22. Scottish seemed to stop, expecting the ref to blow up, but nothing came. The ball was picked up by Cope who sprinted away, a few looping passes later and the Reds found Pincus who powered over the final defender to score. LSFC 7-31 Reds.

Scottish continued to attack, and went through the phases deep in the Reds 22. The Reds defence held firm until Captain Kenny spotted a gap in the defensive line. With a Reds player clinging onto him, he carried the defender & ball over the line to score. Sharp converted easily, LSFC 14-31 Reds with 57 minutes gone.

More attacking rugby from Scottish followed; from the base of a scrum, Walker offloaded to Mosses who burst through the defensive line along halfway, he slowed his sprint as Holland arrived on his shoulder, a smart offload set Holland on his way to touch down in the corner. It was a superb piece of interplay from the three players. LSFC 19-31 Reds.

Despite Scottish dominating the last ten minutes, the final ten of the game belonged to the Reds & Jason Worrall. Another penalty given away by Scottish on the 5m line let Jersey in. Their powerful scrum rumbled towards the line, and Godfrey was holding the ball as they crossed, LSFC 19-38 Reds.

On the 70th minute, the Scottish defence was up quick to defend along halfway, but the Reds were spreading themselves wide. Worrall, in acres of space, received the ball on the wing and sprinted for the corner for his second of the game. LSFC 19-45 Reds.

76 minutes, another penalty awarded to the Reds. From a rolling maul, the fly half spotted nobody at home and launched a terrific kick in behind, into space for Worrall to run on to; the bounce was favorable and he got he third try of the game. Full Time, LSFC 19-52 Reds.

Despite some great attacking play from Scottish, they were undone again by the amount of penalties given away. Some great attacking and defensive displays from Neal, Holland, Mosses, Eliet & Kenny.


London Scottish Harris; Miller; Cringle; Jones; Curry; Eliet; Kenny (c); Hoadley; Sharp; J.L. Smith; Mosses; Neal; Williams; Holland // Replacements: George; Christie; Waldren; Baillie; Marley; A. Walker; Atkins

Tries Neal; Kenny; Holland

Conversions Sharp (x2)


Jersey Reds Woolmore; Selway; Armstrong; Sexton; McKern; Bartle; Joyce; Argyle; Hardy; Cope; Worrall; Best; Ma’afu; Pincus; Van Breda // Replacements: Saunders; Godfrey; Clarey; Kolo’ofa’i; Upfield; Dudley; Newey

Tries Best; Van Breda; Argyle; Worrall (x3); Pincus; Godfrey;

ConversionsĀ Cope (x6)


Referee Craig Maxwell-Keys

Attendence 1,073

Pro Team - Match Pages - Score Summary

Pro Team - Match Pages - Lineups

Main Sponsor
Official Club Sponsors
Official Partners
Tournament Provider