DFP Header

Share this London Scottish page

Pro Team - Match Pages - Match Info

Last-gasp Scots secure memorable win against Yorkshire Carnegie

Last-gasp Scots secure memorable win against Yorkshire Carnegie

London Scottish secured one of their most memorable victories in recent years with a last-gasp 30-27 win against Yorkshire Carnegie at Headingley.

London Scottish secured one of their most memorable victories in recent years with a last-gasp 30-27 win against Yorkshire Carnegie at Headingley.

The win was built on the foundations of a fantastic defence, and with the scores level at 27-27 and 79 minutes on the clock, Peter Lydon’s penalty from 35 metres out gave the Scots a stunning win which was appropriately Mark Bright’s 100th appearance for the club. 


Yorkshire came flying out of the blocks and raced into a 10-0 lead after just nine minutes. An early penalty from Joel Hodgson was quickly followed by the opening try of the match. 

Chris Pilgrim dummied from the back of a driving maul, and was able to offload to James Fitzpatrick who raced clear to score under the posts. Hodgson’s conversion gave the hosts the initiative. 

Scottish replied very strongly and scored just two minutes after with a try from Drew Locke. Mark Bright broke the line of defence from 30 metres out, and after the ball was recycled the Scots had an overlap which gave the centre his second try of the season. Pete Lydon’s first conversion of the evening brought Scottish to within three points of Carnegie. 

Miles Mantella thought that he had scored on the 25-minute mark with a sweeping move as the Scots showed their attacking flair, but referee Steve Lee judged that the ball had been held-up.

That decision galvanised the team and they scored in the next move with Pete Lydon diving over the line in the corner. Yorkshire cleared the ball but it stayed in play and Locke turned provider from an overlap for the full-back to score. A sweet strike from the corner put Scottish in the lead for the first time in the match. 

A penalty from Lydon extended the lead to seven points after more pressure in the Yorkshire 22, but a Seb Stegmann try shortly before the half-time whistle brought the hosts back into the match. A looping pass found the winger in space, and he was able to evade a number of tackles before scoring in the corner.

There was still time for another penalty from Lydon, which sailed through the posts from 35-metres out and sent the Scots down the tunnel with a 20-15 lead. 

Yorkshire started the second half in a similar way to the first, and scored just five minutes in to the second period. Charlie Beech tagged on to the end of a driving maul and rolled over for Carnegie, and Hodgson’s conversion gave them a 22-20 lead. 

Five minutes later Mark Bright scored on his landmark appearance, and it was his trademark try that put the Scots back in the lead. A kick into the corner gave Scottish a five-metre line-out, and the New Zealander drove over for his fifth try of the season. Lydon’s conversion from the touchline was yet again successful, and the Scottish advantage was renewed. 

Scottish were defending heroically in a gruelling second period and with the penalty count impressively low they managed to hold out until the 78th minute when it looked like Yorkshire had stolen victory. 

Andy Forsyth wriggled through tackles in the corner and sent the Headingley crowd wild, but the conversion went wide and it appeared that the match would finish as a draw. 

However Scottish had other ideas, and were awarded a penalty 35 metres out. With Headingley completely silent, Lydon, who kicked superbly all day sent the ball flying through the posts, and edged the Scots 30-27 ahead.

With a minute left on the clock Carnegie still searched for a way through the defence, but the Scots were awarded a penalty and the ball was booted into the stands to give Scottish a historic win.

Yorkshire Carnegie:
15. Jonah Holmes 14. Seb Stegmann 13. Pete Lucock 12. James Fitzpatrick 11. Taylor Prell 10. Joel Hodgson (replaced by Harry Leonard) 9. Chris Pilgrim 1. Charlie Beech (replaced by Lee Imiolek) 2. Phil Nilsen (replaced by Jack Walker) 3. Rob O’Donnell 4. Dean Schofield 5. Tom Ryder 6. Mike Myerscough 7. Chris Walker 8. Ryan Burrows (c)

16. Jack Walker 17. Lee Imiolek 18. James Tideswell 19. Chris Jones 20. Josh Bainbridge 21. Harry Leonard 22. Andy Forsyth

Tries: James Fitzpatrick (9 minutes) Seb Stegmann (37 minutes) Charlie Beech (45 minutes) Andy Forsyth (78 minutes)
Conversions: Joel Hodgson (9 minutes) 
Penalties: Joel Hodgson (5, 45 minutes)

London Scottish:
15 Peter Lydon, 14 Matt Williams, 13 Drew Locke, 20 Jason Harries, 11 Miles Mantella (replaced by Joe Marchant), 10 Oli Grove, 9 Russell Weir, 1 James Hallam 2 Adam Kwasnicki (replaced by David Cherry) 3 Max Maidment (replaced by Matt Shields) 4 Will Carrick Smith (replaced by Neale Patrick) 5 Josh Thomas Brown 6 Rory Bartle 7 Chris Walker (replaced by Alex Brown) 8 Mark Bright (c)

17 Kurt Schonert 16 David Cherry, (blank shirt) Matt Shields 19 Neale Patrick 18 Alex Brown 21 Ben Calder 22 Joe Marchant

Tries: Drew Locke (11 minutes) Peter Lydon (26 minutes) Mark Bright (50 minutes)
Conversions: Peter Lydon (11, 26, 50 minutes)
Penalties: Peter Lydon (33, 39, 80 minutes)

Referee: Steve Lee
Assistant Referees: Peter Huckle & Simon Adams
Fourth Official: Michael Harris

Half-Time: Yorkshire Carnegie 15 – 20 London Scottish

Full-Time: Yorkshire Carnegie 27 – 30 London Scottish

Pro Team - Match Pages - Score Summary

Pro Team - Match Pages - Lineups

Main Sponsor
Official Club Sponsors
Official Partners
Tournament Provider