DFP Header

Share this London Scottish page

Pro Team - Match Pages - Match Info

Exile Derby ends in brutal defeat against London Welsh

Exile Derby ends in brutal defeat against London Welsh

London Scottish were comprehensively beaten as five-try London Welsh produced a dominant performance to record a 37-5 victory at Old Deer Park.

London Scottish were comprehensively beaten as five-try London Welsh produced a dominant performance to record a 37-5 victory at Old Deer Park.

The Scots lacked any form of intensity throughout the match in what was a disappointing display, and despite going ahead early on it was the hosts who rampaged their way to a bonus-point win. 


Scottish started brightly and went in front after just five minutes with a try from Matt Marley. A five metre line out meant the Scots mauled their way towards the line, and the Welsh flanker was on hand to dive over the line. Lydon’s conversion went wide in what were difficult conditions but his side had a 5-0 lead, and no-one at Old Deer Park would have predicted that they would be their last points of the afternoon. 

It was the Scots who were attempting to play the majority of the rugby and Welsh were happy to make the match an arm-wrestle with a number of huge scrums. A penalty from Glyn Hughes cut the deficit to two points, before they went in front for the first time in the match on the half-hour mark. 

Welsh had a line out deep in the Scottish 22, and as it drove towards the line Nathan Morris found a gap in the defence to dot the ball down. The conversion was successful, giving them a 10-5 lead.

The hosts then continued to press and had all of the possession, but the Scots survived and went down the tunnel at the break trailing by five points. 

Welsh made the perfect start to the second-half, with Robbie Nairn scoring his first try of the afternoon to extend their advantage. Some loose play in the middle saw the ball spun wide to the winger, and he was able to run clear to dive over in the corner. The touchline conversion gave then a 17-5 advantage. 

The Scots were then continuously frustrated, as they got near the try-line on multiple occasions but were penalised for holding on. 

Hughes kicked another penalty to put them 15 points ahead, and Charlie Beckett then drove over the line from close range after sustained pressure to score their third try of the match. 

Tempers then started to boil over which resulted in yellow cards for Rory Bartle and Seb Jewell, before Jesse Liston secured the try bonus point after an overlap allowed him to run in unattended and give them a 30-5 lead. 
Scottish continued to go in search of another try but a turnover gave Welsh the opportunity to counter, and Nairn then ran the length of the field to get his second try of the match with just two minutes remaining and spark wild celebrations amongst the 1683 in attendance. 

Welsh then booted the ball out from the kick-off, and celebrated a 37-5 win which left the Scots bewildered and looking for a response when they host Rotherham Titans at the Athletic Ground on New Year’s Day.

London Welsh:
15 Martyn Thomas 14 Kristian Phillips 13 James Lewis 12 Seb Jewell 11 Robbie Nairn 10 Glyn Hughes 9 Rob Lewis 1 Darryl Marfo 2 Nathan Morris (replaced by Adam Kwasnicki)  3 Lovejoy Chawatama 4 Charlie Beckett (replaced by Will Safe) 5 Freddie Clarke 6 Jesse Liston 7 Ryan Hodson 8 Ben Pienaar 

16 Adam Kwasnicki 17 James Hallam 18 Josh McNulty 19 Will Safe 20 Ryan Glynn 21 Tom Hudson 22 Josh Hodson 

Tries: Nathan Morris (32 minutes) Robbie Nairn (42, 76 minutes) Charlie Beckett (63 minutes) Jesse Liston (68 minutes)
Conversions: Glyn Hughes (32, 42, 76 minutes)
Penalties: Glyn Hughes (19, 38, 55 minutes)
Yellow Cards: Charlie Beckett, Seb Jewell

London Scottish:
15 Peter Lydon 14 Ben Rath (replaced by Tom Galbraith) 13 Robbie Fergusson 12 Alec Coombes (replaced by Craig Holland) 11 Jason Harries 10 George Cullen 9 Ed Hoadley 1 Jonny Harris (replaced by Grant Shiells) 2 George Turner (replaced by Phil Cringle) 3 Ewan McQuillin 4 Rory Bartle (c) 5 Callum Hunter Hill 6 Danny Kenny 7 Matt Marley (replaced by Dave Sisi) 8 Ifereimi Boladau

16 Grant Shiells 17 Dan Koroi 18 Phil Cringle 19 Dom McGeekie 20 Dave Sisi 21 Craig Holland 22 Tom Galbraith 

Tries: Matt Marley (5 minutes)
Yellow Card: Rory Bartle

Referee: Dean Richards
Assistant Referees: Clare Daniels & Robert Warburton
Fourth Official: Veryan Boscawen

Man of the match: Lovejoy Chawatama

Attendance: 1683

Half Time Score: London Welsh 10 – 5 London Scottish

Pro Team - Match Pages - Score Summary

Pro Team - Match Pages - Lineups

Main Sponsor
Official Club Sponsors
Official Partners
Tournament Provider