DFP Header

Share this London Scottish page

Pro Team - Match Pages - Match Info

Bristol fight back to deny Scots Cup win

Bristol fight back to deny Scots Cup win

London Scottish's B&I Cup qualification hopes suffered a major blow this afternoon after they went down to a 22-18 defeat to Bristol Rugby at Richmond Athletic Ground.

London Scottish’s B&I Cup qualification hopes suffered a major blow this afternoon after they went down to a 22-18 defeat to Bristol Rugby at Richmond Athletic Ground.

The hosts led 18-9 early in the second half having scored two well taken tries.


Scottish thereafter failed to register a single point as the West Country outfit scored 13 unanswered points to snatch victory, take control of Pool One and remain unbeaten in all competitions this season.

Having lost to Pontypridd last week, the Scots travel to Connacht next weekend knowing anything other than a victory will likely see their Cup hopes extinguished after just three rounds of competition.

Bristol started brightly and took the lead courtesy of a Mark Cooke penalty on eight minutes before doubling their advantage after 24 minutes with his second penalty.

Before this, Scottish had enjoyed plenty of possession near Bristol’s line but could not convert some decent attacking positions into points.

Scrums were a problem area early in the match and the Scots conceded a scrum against the head 15 minutes from half time which denied them another opportunity to threaten Bristol’s blitz defence.

On the half hour mark however, the home side scored a fine try thanks to a training ground move which was put into practice superbly.

A clean line-out won by Neil Best saw Jamie Stevenson find PJ Gidlow off first phase ball.

The centre fed Dan Newton whose neat inside ball to Miles Mantella allowed the left winger to cut through a narrow gap in Bristol’s defence.

He had plenty of work to do but showed great pace and strength to eventually stretch over the line.

Peter Lydon’s conversion moved Scottish 7-6 ahead before a third Cooke penalty eased Bristol back in front six minutes later.

Right on half time Bristol flanker Nick Koster was sent to the sin-bin with Scottish opting for an attacking line-out from the resulting penalty.

Adam Preocanin won the line-out before hooker Adam Kwasnicki peeled off a driving maul and crashed over in the left corner.

After some deliberations between the touch judge and referee Sean Gallagher, the try was eventually awarded.

Lydon’s kick was narrowly off target but the hosts had the lead, 12-9 at the interval.

The Irish full-back made no mistake with a monster penalty from halfway early in the second half which pushed Scottish six points ahead.

The Scots forward pack played their part in the next score, claiming a scrum against the head before Bristol were penalised, allowing Lydon to kick his side into an 18-9 lead.

Cooke kicked his fourth penalty on 55 minutes to reduce the deficit before Scottish’s James Phillip’s was sin-binned for an infringement near half way.

Andy Robinson’s side took full advantage soon after scoring a try following a prolonged period of pressure, Charlie Amesbury’s inside pass finding Luke Eves who cruised in under the posts.

Cooke’s subsequent conversion meant Bristol were now 19-18 ahead just after the hour mark and he kicked his fifth penalty on 75 minutes which moved the visitors four points ahead before they comfortably saw out the remainder of the match.

London Scottish’s next home game is a Greene King IPA Championship clash against Jersey on Friday, November 14, 7.45pm kick-off.

Tickets and Hospitality for this clash is now available to buy online here.

London Scottish:

15, Peter Lydon; 14, Charlie Dockery (replaced by Chris Auld); 13, Connor Braid; 12, PJ Gidlow; 11, Miles Mantella; 10, Dan Newton; 9, Jamie Stevenson (replaced by Matt Heeks); 1, James Hallam (replaced by Mark Lilley); 2, Adam Kwasnicki (replaced by Dave Cherry); 3, Stewart Maguire (replaced by Max Maidment); 4, James Phillips; 5, Adam Preocanin; 6, Neil Best; 7, Chris Walker; 8, Mark Bright (c).

16, Mark Lilley; 17, Dave Cherry; 18, Max Maidment; 19, Tai Tuisamoa; 20, Gregor Gillanders; 21, Matt Heeks; 22, Chris Auld.

Tries: Miles Mantella (30 minutes) Adam Kwasnicki (40 minutes)

Conversions: Peter Lydon (31 minutes)

Penalties: Peter Lydon (43, 50 minutes)

Yellow Card: James Phillips

Bristol Rugby:

15, Darren Hudson; 14, Jack Wallace, 13, Luke Eves, 12, Mark Cooke, 11, Charlie Amesbury; 10, Callum Sheedy (replaced by Nick Carpenter), 9, Craig Hampson (replaced by Luke Baldwin); 1,  Ellis Genge (replaced by Kyle Traynor), 2 Chris Brooker (replaced by Max Crumpton), 3 Gaston Cortes, 4 Ben Glynn (replaced by Joe Joyce), 5 Glen Townson (c), 6 Nick Koster, 7 Olly Robinson, 8 Josh Ovens.

16, Max Crumpton, 17, Kyle Traynor, 18, Joe Joyce, 19, James Stephenson, 20, Luke Baldwin, 21, Nick Carpenter, 22, Ryan Edwards.


Tries: Luke Eves (62 minutes)

Conversions: Mark Cooke (62 minutes)

Penalties: Mark Cooke (7, 23, 36, 55, 74 minutes)

Yellow Card: Nick Koster


Referee: Sean Gallagher

Assistant Referees: Phil Watters & Matthew Daubney

Fourth Official: Andrew Coles





Pro Team - Match Pages - Score Summary

Pro Team - Match Pages - Lineups

Main Sponsor
Official Club Sponsors
Official Partners
Tournament Provider